Loc Extensions – A blessing or a curse ?

by HealthyLocs on June 26, 2010

Years ago I was totally against loc extensions and to an extent I still am depending on why a person wants to get them.  Back in the day, loc extensions used to look horrible.  They were either shiny silky locs or hard looking yarn locs.  Now a days though, the loc extension game has definitely changed. Some look so real that only the trained eye can tell if they’re fake or not.

I still have a problem with them if a person is getting them just for a trendy look, but I happen to think they are a great option for a person who is transitioning from permed hair into locs.  These days I offer loc extensions as part of my natural hair care services.  But many will tell you that I have turned them down if I felt like they were just getting locs put in for the weekend. I don’t play that.  The clients I tend to do the loc extensions for are women (and some men) who are going natural from a perm and already know that locs is what they want.

When I grew my perm out back in 1995, I wore extension braids for about 6 months while I waited for my 2 inch afro to grow out so I could start my locs later.  It was Spring/Summer and the braids made it easier for me to not have to think about what to do with my hair while I transitioned.  Well there are some women in that same position now and it’s easier for them to skip the braid step and go straight into loc extensions.  Because I went through the process I know how it can be so I have no problem doing loc extensions for somone in that case. Trust, I’d prefer if everyone started their locs the traditional way from a 2 inch afro like i did.  I’d prefer if people weren’t afraid of the so called “ugly phase” ( i hate that term ) that happens during the transition the 1st year of growing locs. But the truth is most people are still stuck in “neat” mode with their hair, even when going natural.  So for me if it comes down to a perm or loc extensions, I’m definitely going to tell someone to go for the loc extensions until their own hair can grow out.

See loc extensions for me are supposed to be used as a tool to help the natural transition. A good loctician will tell you to trim a few inches of loc extension off every year as your own hair grows out in locs so that eventually there will be no loc extension left, there will just be your own natural beautiful head of locs in the end.

Some people argue that people who get loc extensions done don’t appreciate their locs the same way that someone who started from scratch does. But trust and believe that I have done enough heads to know that there are actually people out there who appreciate their locs equally no matter how they started them. They’re just happy to be out of chemicals and in love with their natural hair no matter how their journey began.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think :-)

Healthy Scalp, Healthy Locs

Nyesha Samuel, Publisher for healthylocsblog.com & Master Loctician

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 58 comments… read them below or add one }

HealthyLocs January 7, 2014 at 4:29 pm

So happy to hear that you are loving your locs as they grow in different stages via extensions. Keep up the good work and thank you for appreciating the post :-)

Dominique December 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Thank you for this article. I started my loc journey via extentions in May of this year (2013) and I love them! It has been rough going threw the “fuzzy” stage because as you mentioned I am in Corporate America. People tell me how much they like my hair often and are usually shocked when I tell them they are extentions. I had them maintained at a shop for the first month or so but now I do them myself which can be time consuming. It’s hard to find article online about people with loc extentions that are growing them out and how they are maintaining them. Thank you again for this post.

HealthyLocs April 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Hello Keesha El, I just sent you an email concerning your possible extension appointment :-)

Keesha EL April 21, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Interesting Post!…and this I do agree with. I love your energy and would love for you to extend me until my locks gain their natural momentum being that I transitioned in 2009, cut and all so I’m freshly rooted in my locks! Lol….Look forward to hearing from you and will continue visits to your site <3

HealthyLocs October 29, 2012 at 12:40 am

If your hair is thinner in that area I would not put extensions on that hair. The weight of the extensions may make that hair thinner. You may want to consider putting smaller locs in that area which may loc easier without causing more thinning.

HealthyLocs October 29, 2012 at 12:29 am

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone in Toronto that can do your extensions for you, but I do travel. So for the right price, I would be willing to fly up and do your extensions for you. Email me at healthylocs@yahoo.com if you’d like to discuss details.

Peace, Nyesha

Riz October 28, 2012 at 3:17 am

At present the ends of my hair are permed but I have about 3 inches of natural roots. I’ve cut my hair twice and texturized once because I was back and forth about locing my hair. I just removed my hair from braids which grew it out, but I’m back at the crossroads again. I don’t want to do any kind of chemicals anymore, but when i tried locs on my own, i found I had no patience with the startup process. I love locs always have and now I’ve decided I’m ready for my locs. Do you know anyone in Toronto that can put in the extensions for me? and also guide me to the proper care so my hair can be the proper crown

LadySoul October 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

Hi,

My locs are a little over a year old. They have grown well except for at the crown where my hair is thinner. I was considering loc extensions just in that area. Would this cause more thinning? How else can I fill in the gaps that show my scalp?